Forums » Wattpad

Promote your Wattpad Fiction

• 8 posts
    October 20, 2015 12:32 PM PDT

I created this thread for Wattpad writers who want to promote their profile and their fiction.

If you are on Wattpad, please post your profile link and a link to the cover of your story. Please only post once to the thread.

I will start it off myself with these:

Wattpad Profile: https://www.wattpad.com/user/AugustChapman

This post was edited by August Chapman at January 11, 2016 10:00 AM PST
    • 3 posts
    January 6, 2016 12:53 PM PST

I'm glad I saw this forum topic. So many self-published authors aren't utilizing this website and loosing out on gaining valuable followers. I've had some success on Wattpad and thus, that platform has transformed into my self-publishing platform. Many fans from there go on to buy your book to show their support. If you are struggling, I highly recommend using this site (you'll have to wade through a TON of badly written One Direction FanFiction though!).

• 8 posts
    January 11, 2016 9:57 AM PST

Yeah, a TON of terrible fanfiction.

Even the General Fiction category is primarily ChickLit ( and labeled as such ) and it's difficult to find readers looking for mainstream fiction.

But when you find those readers, the results are gold. Especially if you're testing a certain style or new novel concept.

A reader left a great review comparing a segment to Elmore Leonard - "The idea is great and the execution is very good; this is Mamet's Glengarry Glen Ross crossed with Leonard's Get Shorty, shaken - not stirred!- with a dash of Chandler. If you can pull this off, you'll have a great story." Which was great, because it was exactly the tone and pacing I was looking for.

Looks like your book was just published last month on Amazon, and is ranking very well. Going to check it out.

This post was edited by August Chapman at January 11, 2016 9:58 AM PST
    • 3 posts
    January 11, 2016 11:22 AM PST

Oh god, yes the teen ChickLit is everywhere as well. But that just shows what kind of an audience Wattpad is comprised of - teen girls. So if you want to "make it" on Wattpad you have to have something in your work that appeals to them. Not saying you have to have a story about a regular nerdy girl meeting the hot bad boy (gag me with a spoon), but you have to have some element that is relatable to them.

In my book, I kept it new-adult rated (higher than young-adult, but lower than adult novels) and added just a pinch of romance (more like a sliver) to appeal more to the masses of Wattpad. I personally feel romance should not be in the zombie genre since it's the last place you should be swiping your Tinder matches, but you need at least a hint of it to interest certain readers.

Even with the large reader base, I find I haven't gotten as good of reviews as before. I end up getting, pardon my French - dumb shit, posted by bored teens sometimes. In saying that, every once in a while I get that helpful review pointing out a plot hole that I missed, or a review that reaffirms my faith in Wattpad because the reviewer explains how the novel impacted them and it was exactly what I was going for. So it's hit and miss most of the time for me.

I did just self-publish my book Decemeber 30th 2015 and it's doing better that I could have hoped, thanks in large part to my wonderful Wattpad followers who supported me with reviews and even purchasing copies!

This post was edited by Nicole Iverson at January 11, 2016 11:34 AM PST
    • 3 posts
    April 18, 2016 9:33 AM PDT

I'm glad I found this post. I've been considering joining Wattpad but haven't had time to research it. I've heard some good things about Wattpad but that it can also be time-consuming. I'm going to check it out:)